Milton fire department issues reminder about heating safety

By

Published December 6, 2021 at 10:52 am

The Milton fire department has issued a reminder about heating safety.

With colder temperatures arriving, most residents may already be using heating equipment in their homes.

Fireplaces, fireplace inserts, wood stoves and chimneys can all be causes of fires, which is why it’s important to have functional carbon monoxide alarms on every storey of your home that are tested every month.

Additionally, it’s important that all heating equipment is installed by a qualified technician and that heating systems are cleaned annually. Outside heating vents should also not be blocked.

Residents are also reminded to use a fire screen around the fireplace and to allow all ashes from wood stoves or fireplaces to cool before emptying them into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid that is kept outside.

INsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising