Mayor wants Brampton, Mississauga residents to be able to get a hair cut sooner than scheduled
Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown thinks personal care services in Mississauga and Brampton should reopen sooner than the July 2 provincial schedule calls for.
“This is one issue that I believe could be amended when it comes to the reopening,” said Brown at his weekly news conference.
Brown said the GTHA mayors said they would be prepared if the province decided to allow personal care services like hair salons and nail spas to open earlier.
Currently, those types of services will be allowed to open when the province moves to Step 2 in its reopening plan. That is expected to be July 2, as long as the province has 70% of adults with at least one dose and 20% of adults fully vaccinated.
According to the latest numbers, 75.86% of Ontario adults are vaccinated and 18.28% are fully vaccinated.
“Lockdowns across the province have led to an underground market when it comes to personal care services,” said Brown. “The reality is, there are haircuts out there that are happening.”
Brown said these kinds of services are taking place in backyards and garages.
“Given the COVID case decline, I think there is a pathway to safely open in advance of July 2.”
Brown said there was a high level of safety protocols at personal care services prior to the pandemic.
“These places have been closed in Brampton since November 23. We need to reassure the personal care services that they will be allowed to reopen. And in my opinion, it could happen before July 2.”
Brown said he’ll be sending a letter to Premier Doug Ford asking the date be moved up.
- Halton Hills barber shops, nail salons should open now, mayor says
- Mayor Brown thinks Step 1 might start closer to June 2 in Brampton and Mississauga
- Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown steps up and gets COVID-19 vaccination
- MAYORS CHAT: Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown chats reopening from COVID-19 lockdowns – May 21, 2021
- Province loosening restrictions on residents of long-term care facilities in Brampton, Mississauga, and Ontario
- Special weather statement: Heavy rainfall in Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton
- New go-karting track opening in Mississauga
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- Male pronounced dead at scene after drowning in Brampton
- 100% of recent Mississauga and Brampton COVID patients not fully vaccinated