Mayor Bonnie Crombie urging Province to allow more pharmacies to offer COVID-19 tests in Mississauga
Mayor Bonnie Crombie is urging the Province to increase COVID-19 testing locations in Mississauga.
Currently, there are a total of 10 testing centres in Mississauga--the Credit Valley Hospital and the Mississauga Hospital are offering tests for those who are experiencing symptoms, while eight pharmacies across the city are offering tests, by appointment only, for those who are not experiencing symptoms.
According to Crombie, these pharmacies are processing approximately 50 tests per day, a number she believes is too low to help prevent the spread of the virus.
"I urge the Province to either expand the number of pharmacies offering this program, and ensure they have the capacity to conduct more tests," she said during a press conference on September 30.
"There are communities in our city that were not captured in the initial rollout of the pharmacy testing program, and the need for more testing exists now--it simply cannot wait," she added.
Crombie identified Malton as a specific area of the city that would benefit from the Province allowing more pharmacies to offer testing.
"It is my hope that the Minister of Health, and the Premier, will take priority communities like Malton into account when expanding the testing program," Crombie said.
As of September 30, Peel Public Health has investigated 3,707 cases of COVID-19 in Mississauga, with 287 still currently active, while 3,189 have recovered, and 231 have died, according to Lawrence Loh, Medical Officer of Health for the Region of Peel.
- Select pharmacies will offer COVID-19 testing
- These are the pharmacies offering COVID-19 tests in Mississauga
- Peel not in second wave but situation can change "at any moment": Mayor Crombie
- Province to massively expand COVID-19 testing
- Hospital workers’ union concerned with Ford’s COVID-19 pharmacy testing plan
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- Popular Mississauga restaurant opens luxury tent to keep diners comfortable amid the COVID shutdown
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win
- All COVID-19 cases in Mississauga schools for the week of October 19 to 24
- BREAKING: Ontario reporting 978 new COVID-19 cases today, six new deaths