VIDEO & UPDATES: Massive Fire Breaks Out in Mississauga
Officers and firefighters are on scene for a large fire tonight in Mississauga.
Police received a call at 7:05 p.m. regarding a fire that broke out in Streetsville in the area of Joymar Drive and Tannery Street, west of Thomas at Queen Street South.
Police note that the fire broke out in a building under construction.
There is currently no info on injuries or the cause of the fire.
Residents should avoid the area.
UPDATE: (7:53 p.m.) Officers are assisting with evacuation. Mississauga Transit buses will be on scene to assist displaced residents.
UPDATE: (8:27 p.m.) Police are reporting power outages in the area.
UPDATE: (8:50 p.m.) Roads in the area are affected. Drivers are asked to stay off of Queen Street as far south as Eglinton unless it’s absolutely necessary.
UPDATE: (9:07 p.m.) Residents on Rutledge Road are being sheltered in place rather than being evacuated for the time being, police report. Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services are monitoring air quality.
UPDATE: (9:15 p.m.) About 1100 homes are currently without power. Crews have been dispatched. The estimated time of repair is 12:30 a.m.
UPDATE: (9:30 p.m.) According to Mississauga Fire Chief Tim Beckett, the three-alarm fire broke out in a four-storey building under construction. The building was vacant and there are no reports of injuries at this time. Tannery remains closed from Queen Street to Joymar.
UPDATE: (10:30 p.m.) The fire has been contained to the four-storey building, Beckett says. Crews will remain on scene overnight. Investigators with the Ontario Fire Marshal will attend the scene in the morning to determine the cause of the fire.
UPDATE: (11:05 p.m.) Road closures currently in effect include Tannery Street, Rutledge Road, Thomas Street at the GO Station, and Joymar Drive from Britannia to Thomas.
- Government of Canada Issues Travel Advisory for Mexico
- Mississauga Uber Driver Arrested After Two Sexual Assault Incidents
- A Look at the Most Expensive and Cheapest Houses in Mississauga
- This is Where Mississauga Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Cities
- Government Updates Travel Advisory For Sri Lanka After Another Explosion
- Road Currently Blocked Due to Fire Investigation in Mississauga
- Investigation Into Massive Fire in Mississauga Has Concluded
- Residents Asked to Avoid Area Due to Fire in Mississauga
- Police and Fire Department on Scene for Active Fire in Mississauga
- Emergency Services on Scene for Fire in Mississauga