Mass test results are in from Mississauga condo revealing good news about the variants
Test results reveal no new cases of the COVID-19 variant have been found at a Mississauga City Centre condominium where an outbreak occurred earlier this month.
Peel Public Health had conducted the tests because a cluster of five people living at the building had contracted the South African variant of the virus. A mass testing off 500 people was carried out and showed the feared spread did not occur.
In an interview, Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie told Khaled Iwamura of insauga.com the outbreak was contained to two floors of the building. She said as well as the five original variant cases, three other people initially tested positive for the more common version of the virus.
“This is very good news,” Crombie said.
The testing at the condo building was conducted on Family Day, Feb. 15. Of the 1,000 people who live in the building, half were tested that day. Those residents who weren’t available when the health department was on site were advised to get tested at a local assessment centre.
The mayor went on to say there are currently 60 confirmed cases of either the U.K. or South African variant in Peel Region, but an additional 200 people are suspected to have the more transmissible version of the virus.
- 500 people were tested at a Mississauga condo for the South African variant
- Mississauga condo dealing with COVID-19 variant outbreak; urgent mass testing planned on Monday
- 99 people in Simcoe-Muskoka likely have COVID variant, doc warns of community spread
- BREAKING: Ontario's first case of the South African COVID-19 variant has been found in Mississauga
- Peel Region now dealing with three cases of the U.K. variant of COVID-19
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- Another 7 flights with 38 rows affected land with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- Provinces look to mix COVID-19 vaccines in light of changing supply
- VIDEO: All lanes blocked on Hwy 401 due to multiple vehicles pile up in Mississauga
- Mississauga residents can book vaccination at Doses After Dark