Man Tasered by police during standoff in Mississauga; SIU investigating


Published February 1, 2024 at 3:56 pm

SIU investigates after police Taser man in Mississauga

Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is looking into an incident in Mississauga’s south end on Tuesday afternoon in which a 39-year-old man was Tasered by Peel Regional Police.

According to the SIU, a civilian agency that investigates incidents involving police and the public where there has been a serious injury or death, the incident unfolded in the Port Credit area at about 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 30.

In a news release Thursday afternoon, an SIU spokesperson said “officers were notified of a person in crisis at a residence in the area of Port Street East. Officers responded and saw a man harming himself.”

The SIU continued, saying preliminary information also indicates that one police officer fired a “conducted energy weapon,” or Taser, at the man while another officer used an anti-riot weapon in efforts to apprehend the person.

The man was eventually apprehended under the Mental Health Act, the SIU noted, and taken to hospital for treatment.

“The SIU’s mandate was invoked because a police officer discharged a less-lethal weapon, which is classified as a firearm,” the SIU said in its news release.
The SIU is urging anyone with information about the incident, including video or photos, to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
As the incident was unfolding on Tuesday afternoon, reported that residents were concerned given the heavy police presence in the neighbourhood and areas beyond, the closure of major roads and a lack of information.

Peel Regional Police said at the time only that an “active and ongoing investigation” was underway.

Police initially closed down Port Street between Elizabeth Street and Stavebank Road while they investigated. They later shut down Elizabeth Street between Lakeshore Road and Port Street in addition to the earlier closure.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising