Man facing 25 charges after shooting in Brampton
Investigators have laid 25 charges against a male resident in relation to a shooting in Brampton earlier this year.
The shooting in question took place in the area of Main Street and Queen Street on January 16, 2021.
On Friday, March 12, police say a search warrant executed at a Toronto residence turned up a loaded .40 calibre gun, a 9 mm Glock, and a drum magazine.
As a result, 23 year old Brampton man Darnel Rhooms was arrested. He is charged with:
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm (2 counts)
- Possession of a loaded Prohibited or restricted Firearm (2 counts)
- Possession of prohibited weapon, device or ammunition knowing its possession is unauthorized (2 counts)
- Tampering with serial number
- Fail to Comply with Release Order (7 counts)
- Breach Probation Order (2 counts)
- Possession of a firearm contrary to Prohibition Order (2 counts)
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking CDSA
- Drive while disqualified (2 counts)
- Break and Enter and Commit
- Firearm - use while committing an offence
- Fail to Comply with Release Order
- Possession of Firearm Contrary to Order
Rhooms was held for a bail hearing and attended the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton on March 12.
"This arrest, involving a high-risk individual already on bail for serious firearm offences highlights the need for our justice system participants to work together," said Police Chief Nishan Duraiappah.
"The police alone cannot ensure our community's safety. We need all stakeholders to be engaged and contribute to the solutions."
Anyone with further information regarding this incident is asked to contact the 22 Criminal Investigation Bureau at 905-453-2121, ext. 2233.
Photos: Peel police handout
- Two Brampton men facing charges after police seize drugs and firearm
- Mississauga man charged with possession of loaded firearm and drugs
- Shooting in Brampton leads to four arrests, 44 charges
- Mississauga Man Charged After Police Seize Loaded Handguns
- Mississauga Man Facing Numerous Charges After Police Seize Loaded Firearm
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant