Man Charged With Extorting People on Controversial Dating Site
A man is facing charges in connection with an extortion scheme targeting users of a controversial dating site.
Toronto police say that In February 2018, officers began an investigation into the extortion of a man who was using the Ashley Madison dating website.
Police allege that a 58-year-old man began using a dating website and subsequently befriended a person who identified themselves as “Svenita.” Police say the victim gave "Svenita" personal information and arranged to meet her in March 2018.
At the meeting, the victim was allegedly approached by a man who indicated that “Svenita” was an underage girl associated with organized crime. Police say the victim was threatened with exposure if he didn’t pay a sum of money.
In November 2018, officers began an investigation into the extortion of another man using Ashley Madison.
Police allege that a 64-year-old man began using the dating website and subsequently befriended a person who went by the name of "SarahMickeyKay.” Police say he provided intimate personal information and arranged to meet the person that month.
Police say that, at the meeting, he was approached by a man who indicated that “SarahMickeyKay” was an underage girl associated with organized crime. Police allege that he was also threatened with exposure if he didn’t pay a sum of money.
Police say 48-year-old Michael Maletin has been charged with two counts of extortion and two counts of wearing a disguise with intent.
He appeared in court on Friday, Nov. 30.
Police believe there may be other victims.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5300.
- Police Warn Residents of Dating Apps After Alleged Attacks
- Police Warn Residents to Be Safe While Using Online Dating Sites and Apps
- SCAM ALERT: Police Warn of GTA Fraud and Extortion Schemes
- Police charge 48-year-old man in connection to human trafficking
- Mississauga Man Facing Firearm Charges After Police Called to House Party
- Brand new Starbucks location opening in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: A Fight Club forms in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Peel police officer knees male on ground during arrest in Mississauga
- What's Open and Closed Civic Holiday Monday in Mississauga
- New pizza and chicken restaurant opening in Mississauga