Man Charged in Connection With Rental Fraud in Mississauga
A man is facing charges in connection with a rental property scam in Mississauga.
Peel police say that between October 2018 and May 2019, several victims paid a man who posted ads on Kijiji for a room to rent in a residential area in the Goreway Drive and Morningstar Drive area in Mississauga.
Police allege that victims were enticed into paying first and/or last month's rent to the man by way of an e-transfer.
According to police, the victims lost a total of $20,000 combined.
After receiving payment, the man reportedly ceased all contact with the victims.
Police say 33-year-old Toronto man Steyn Kalala was arrested and charged with defrauding the public on June 26.
The accused was later released with conditions and will appear in court in July 2019.
Investigators believe that additional victims may exist. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Fraud Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3335 or the Officer in Charge of the investigation, Cst. Sean Bitmanis at ext. 3373.
Police are reminding residents to avoid prepaying for products or services offered by individuals they do not know.
- Man Facing Charges After Allegedly Defrauding Senior Citizens
- Two Mississauga Women Charged in Connection With Immigration-Related Fraud
- Man Charged in Connection With Rental Property Scam in Mississauga
- Police Arrest Man After Uttering Threats to Multiple Victims
- Mississauga Woman Accused of Scamming People with Fake Travel Agency
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: World's largest cargo plane lands at Pearson Airport with medical supplies
- Newly-released data indicates that Mississauga is a hotspot for COVID-19
- Ontario is giving drive-in movie theatres the clear to reopen
- Peel releases map data showing COVID-19 cases and hotspots
- Paramedics attending after male injured in shooting in Mississauga