Man charged following racist rant at Mississauga supermarket
A Mississauga man has been charged after a racist rant at a supermarket was caught on video.
The incident, which happened at T&T Supermarket at 715 Central Parkway West, involved a male customer angrily ranting and arguing with the store’s workers after being asked to put on a mask or leave.
The man called the workers communists, insisted they weren’t Canadian, and blamed the coronavirus on the Chinese government.
While the situation briefly looked like it would escalate into violence, the workers eventually succeeded in getting the man to leave.
After video of the incident was widely shared on social media, police began investigating and issued a summons for 48 year old Mississauga man John McCash.
Today (Thursday, July 16), police say McCash turned himself in to investigators at 11 Division.
He was charged with Causing a Disturbance and is set to appear in court on September 25, 2020.
“During incidents such as this, the Reassurance Protocol is enacted by our Equity and Inclusion Bureau, to provide the victim any necessary support they may need,” police said.
“We have direct contact with the victim and work with them to ensure there are no additional safety concerns.”
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Anti-masker's racist rant in Mississauga grocery store
- Police issue summons for Mississauga man caught on video ranting about masks
- Justin Trudeau speaks out about racist tirade at Mississauga grocery store, police say they’re investigating
- T&T CEO and Bonnie Crombie address racist tirade at Mississauga grocery store
- Why Police Should Have Charged Racist Woman Demanding “White Doctor”
- Mississauga and Brampton residents can expect changes to garbage collection
- Paid sick leave coming for Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario workers, says Premier Ford
- Health Canada issues major recalls for products at Costco and various stores
- From hotspot countries 26 more flights land with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- COVID defiant gym stays open as Mississauga appears powerless