Man Charged After One Person Killed and Two Others Seriously Injured in Multiple GTA Collisions
Police say they are seeking witnesses following multiple serious collisions in the GTA, including a fatal hit and run in Brampton.
Peel police say that on Friday, June 29 at approximately 1:00 am, 60-year-old Brampton man Eddie Chavez Alquinto was driving his Mazda 5 vehicle eastbound on Steeles Avenue in the area of McLaughlin Road.
His wife, 45, was a passenger in the vehicle.
Police say that, as the vehicle proceeded eastbound, it was violently struck from behind by a white Mercedes Benz, allegedly driven by 30-year-old Orangeville man Martin Hines.
Police say the impact resulted in the immediate death of Alquinto. The passenger sustained serious injuries and was transported to a Toronto trauma centre.
Police allege that the accused exited his vehicle and fled in a black vehicle taken from the scene.
According to police, the accused was eventually involved in two additional collisions in the Toronto area; one of which resulted in life threatening injuries for a 20-year-old male.
The accused was subsequently arrested by Toronto police and is being held for a bail hearing.
Police say the accused is facing multiple charges related to the collision, including dangerous driving causing death, failing to remain causing death, robbery and more.
Investigators are appealing to any witness who may have observed the accused's driving prior to the collision or have dashboard video footage leading up to the incident.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact investigators with the Major Collision Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3710.
- Mississauga Uber Driver Arrested After Two Sexual Assault Incidents
- This is Where Mississauga Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Cities
- 5 “Haunted” Conspiracy Theories That Exist In Mississauga
- Top 5 Chinese Takeout Joints in Mississauga
- UPDATE on CLOSURE: Popular Japanese/Korean Restaurant in Mississauga Closed for Health Violations
- Police Identify Man Accused of Hitting and Dragging OPP Officer in Mississauga
- Man Suffers Life-Threatening Injuries After Being Struck by Vehicle in Mississauga
- Mississauga Woman Charged Following Fatal Car Crash Involving School Bus
- Police Identify 19-Year-Old Woman Killed in Alleged Street Racing Crash in Mississauga
- Police Investigating Following Dangerous Driving Incident in Mississauga