Man Arrested for Allegedly Tricking Walmart into Buying Stolen Merchandise
A Burlington man has been arrested after allegedly returning stolen Walmart merchandise to the brand's various GTA locations (including locations in Mississauga) in exchange for gift cards.
Halton police report that on Oct. 30, members of the Burlington Street Crime Unit arrested a man allegedly responsible for shoplifting merchandise from various Walmart stores in Burlington, Oakville and Mississauga.
Police say the suspect was observed stealing merchandise from one store and then returning the pilfered goods at another. When he would return the products, he received gift cards which police say were then used to purchase pre-paid credit cards.
Shortly after 4:30 PM, investigators reportedly stopped a motor vehicle driven by the suspect who was subsequently arrested for theft and fraud.
A search of the suspect and his vehicle resulted in the seizure of $2,505 worth of pre-paid MasterCards, pre-paid Visa cards, several other gift cards and clothing. A female passenger was also arrested in connection with the alleged fraud.
Police say 33-year-old Matthew William Ticknor was held for bail and charged with four counts of fraud under $5,000 and possession of property obtained by crime. Police also charged 45-year-old Oakville woman Tara Lee Marchesin with possession of property obtained by crime. She was released on a promise to appear and is scheduled to be in court on Nov. 29.
Police say the matter is still under investigation and further charges are possible. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Constable Jeff Sawatzky of the Burlington Street Crime Unit at 905-825-4747 ext. 2384.
- Unique New Restaurant With Board Game Nights Now Open in Mississauga
- Huge Lottery Win for Mississauga Residents and Co-Workers
- Meet Peel's Two New Deputy Police Chiefs
- Mississauga Could Soon Be Home to Amazon’s Second North American Headquarters
- Stunning New Condo Set to Become Tallest Building in Mississauga
- Mississauga Man Arrested for Stealing Thousands of Dollars Worth of Apple Products
- Four Mississauga Citizens Arrested After Starbucks Robbery in Burlington
- Six Arrested, Two Pending Arrest for Possession of Massive Amounts of Illegal Drugs
- Mississauga Man Arrested for Illegal Canada Goose Jacket Purchases
- Mississauga Woman Arrested in Connection with Creative Truck Theft