Man Arrested for Allegedly Tricking Walmart into Buying Stolen Merchandise
A Burlington man has been arrested after allegedly returning stolen Walmart merchandise to the brand's various GTA locations (including locations in Mississauga) in exchange for gift cards.
Halton police report that on Oct. 30, members of the Burlington Street Crime Unit arrested a man allegedly responsible for shoplifting merchandise from various Walmart stores in Burlington, Oakville and Mississauga.
Police say the suspect was observed stealing merchandise from one store and then returning the pilfered goods at another. When he would return the products, he received gift cards which police say were then used to purchase pre-paid credit cards.
Shortly after 4:30 PM, investigators reportedly stopped a motor vehicle driven by the suspect who was subsequently arrested for theft and fraud.
A search of the suspect and his vehicle resulted in the seizure of $2,505 worth of pre-paid MasterCards, pre-paid Visa cards, several other gift cards and clothing. A female passenger was also arrested in connection with the alleged fraud.
Police say 33-year-old Matthew William Ticknor was held for bail and charged with four counts of fraud under $5,000 and possession of property obtained by crime. Police also charged 45-year-old Oakville woman Tara Lee Marchesin with possession of property obtained by crime. She was released on a promise to appear and is scheduled to be in court on Nov. 29.
Police say the matter is still under investigation and further charges are possible. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Constable Jeff Sawatzky of the Burlington Street Crime Unit at 905-825-4747 ext. 2384.
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga
- Mississauga up to 200 confirmed cases of COVID-19
- VIDEO: People going nuts for Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Mississauga
- Police say they are not ticketing drivers for having more than one person in a vehicle
- The Truth Behind the Mysterious Koliba Park in Mississauga
- Three People Arrested and Charged Following an Alleged Stolen Vehicle
- Suspect from Mississauga Arrested After More Than $20K Worth of Laptops Stolen in Oakville
- Two Mississauga Residents Arrested at Burlington Hotel Following Alleged Thefts
- Mississauga Man Arrested for Stealing Thousands of Dollars Worth of Apple Products
- Six Arrested, Two Pending Arrest for Possession of Massive Amounts of Illegal Drugs