Male in police custody after shooting, nine-hour crisis negotiation in Oakville
A male who had barricaded himself inside an Oakville residence for more than nine hours is now in police custody.
Around 1:20 p.m. on Friday, January 15, officers responded to a residence on Lakeshore Road West near Whittington Place for reports of gun shots.
Nearby residents were instructed to shelter in place, and Appleby College was placed under a hold and secure.
Uniform officers, Tactical Rescue Unit and K9 officers, crisis negotiators, and investigators attended the scene.
"The incident was contained to a single residence and negotiations began with two people inside who initially refused to come out," police said.
"Just before 3:00 pm, a female vacated the contained residence and was escorted from the premises by officers on-scene."
Police say the negotiations continued until approximately 10:30 p.m., when a male occupant of the residence was safely taken into custody by members of the Tactical Rescue Unit.
Nobody else was located inside of the residence, and police say no one involved "sustained any significant injuries."
The investigation into this incident is ongoing at this time.
More information to come.
- LATEST: Halton Police have the individual who had barricaded themselves in Oakville in custody
- Police on Scene for Stabbing at Residence in Mississauga
- Tactical and K9 officers responding to man in crisis in Mississauga
- Police investigating after shot fired at Mississauga residence
- UPDATE: Man in crisis dead after shots fired by police in Mississauga
- Pilot for new CBS medical drama spotted filming recently in Mississauga
- Injuries reported after fight with baseball bat and vehicle ramming in Mississauga
- Sikh, Hindu dispute over Indian politics boils over in Brampton
- The Cake Boss is coming to Canada with a brand new location in Mississauga
- Mississauga men celebrating big lotto wins as the machine froze