Male in police custody after shooting, nine-hour crisis negotiation in Oakville
A male who had barricaded himself inside an Oakville residence for more than nine hours is now in police custody.
Around 1:20 p.m. on Friday, January 15, officers responded to a residence on Lakeshore Road West near Whittington Place for reports of gun shots.
Nearby residents were instructed to shelter in place, and Appleby College was placed under a hold and secure.
Uniform officers, Tactical Rescue Unit and K9 officers, crisis negotiators, and investigators attended the scene.
"The incident was contained to a single residence and negotiations began with two people inside who initially refused to come out," police said.
"Just before 3:00 pm, a female vacated the contained residence and was escorted from the premises by officers on-scene."
Police say the negotiations continued until approximately 10:30 p.m., when a male occupant of the residence was safely taken into custody by members of the Tactical Rescue Unit.
Nobody else was located inside of the residence, and police say no one involved "sustained any significant injuries."
The investigation into this incident is ongoing at this time.
More information to come.
- Heavy police presence as officers respond to man with firearm inside Brampton residence
- LATEST: Halton Police have the individual who had barricaded themselves in Oakville in custody
- Police asking residents to shelter in place due to ongoing incident in Oakville
- Police on Scene for Stabbing at Residence in Mississauga
- Officers in Georgetown responding to second person in crisis
- Thirteen tickets won a massive lottery prize in Ontario but no jackpot
- UPDATE: Brampton teen drowns in Halton Hills area
- Mississauga enters first stage of reopening as COVID-19 restrictions loosen across Ontario
- Mississauga, Brampton vaccine clinics taking place this weekend
- Trio of suitors to bid on anaerobic digestion plant in Clarington