Major Weather Warning in Effect Today in Mississauga
Residents should take note of some extreme weather expected for today.
According to Environment Canada, a major windstorm will start midday today, bringing very strong southwest winds with frequent gusts of 100 to 110 km/h around noon.
“Wind gusts of 120 km/h are likely in areas along the shores of Lake Ontario,” the statement reads.
The damaging winds will continue into the evening and gradually start to diminish overnight.
Additionally, snowfall is expected this afternoon, which will likely be “whipped up by the winds creating near whiteout conditions at times in blowing snow,” causing reduced visibility.
Caution is advised, as damage to buildings may occur and loose objects may be tossed by the wind, causing injury or damage.
Widespread power outages are also possible today.
Residents should stay inside if possible and continue to watch for further weather warnings.
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Vehicle fire breaks out on highway in Mississauga
- World premiere of huge attraction coming to Square One in Mississauga
- CLOSURE: Two Pakistani restaurants closed for health violations in Mississauga
- Police searching for suspect of sexual assault and robbery in Mississauga
- Suspect flees armed bank robbery in Mississauga