Major Pumpkin Carving Contest Coming to Port Credit in Mississauga
Since Halloween is just a couple of weeks away, what better way to prepare for the macabre celebration than by indulging in a fun tradition and giving back to the community in the process?
Permanent Vacation, a company that makes baseball caps and sets aside of portion of profits for charitywater.com, is hosting a Halloween-themed charity event at Spice in Port Credit on Monday, Oct. 17.
What is the event?
A pumpkin carving contest called Spice Pumpkin Slice (see a picture of last year’s event below).
"We have a lot of local businesses being represented, such as the Mississauga Animal Hospital, SWAT, Ampersand Co, Vitaly, Flying Monkeys and pretty much all the Port Credit restaurants," says Permanent Vacation owner Andrew Quillie. "So far we have 30 teams."
This event will be the second of its kind hosted at Spice Lounge and all of the participating teams (they've already been finalized, but you can still come out to watch!) will be making donations to Trinity Church in Port Credit for its Community Outreach Program.
Even though you might not be able to carve a fancy jack-o'-lantern, residents are more than welcome to come out and watch the festivities and pick their favourite carving. The event will kick off at 8:00 p.m. and run until 2:00 a.m. The pumpkin carving portion of the night will wrap up at 10:00 p.m.
"The [contest] judging and good times will continue until 2:00 a.m," says Rye Long, owner/operator of Spice Lounge and Tapas. "The event will be held upstairs in our upstairs private function area."
DJ and MC Nelson Alfaro will be spinning at the event, so you'll get to enjoy both music and creative carvings.
"Year one was too much fun to not have a second go, and we have had to say no to new times for special restrictions," says Long. "Next year, Permanent Vacation and Spice's goal is to have 50-100 teams in our other extended space and support this local charity more so in our great village."
If you're interested in checking out the event, bring $5 or a non-perishable food item for a ballot to vote for your favourite pumpkin. At 11:00 p.m., ballots will be counted and all proceeds will be given to the winner's charity of choice.
Other companies participating in the carving contest include Door FiftyFive, Ten, Cabin, El Jefe and more.
For more info, contact Andrew Quillie at info [at] permanentvacation [dot] com or DM @permanentvacationbrand on Instagram
- Tim Hortons bringing back Pumpkin Spice baked goods and beverages
- Pumpkin Spice KD coming to Canada this fall
- You Can Now Get Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Tim Hortons in Mississauga
- PICK A SIDE: Who does pumpkin spice better, Tims or Starbucks?
- Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte is Officially Back in Mississauga
- Popular cafe closing down for good in Mississauga
- Rental prices falling as the year winds to a close in Mississauga
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about Mississauga - December 1, 2020
- Today’s data shows Peel Region has returned to having the highest new COVID-19 cases in Ontario
- Almost all illegal guns coming into Mississauga and Brampton are from the U.S.