Major Police Blitz About to Hit Mississauga
Drivers beware—although driving while impaired or otherwise unfit to operate a vehicle is inadvisable at all times, it's especially foolish this time of year.
Peel police recently announced the launch of the well-known (and always expected) 2017 Festive Season R.I.D.E. campaign.
The goal of the operation is to reduce impaired driving incidents.
Police say the holiday season R.I.D.E. campaign focuses on detecting and removing drivers from roads who choose to drive while their ability to do so is impaired by drugs and/or alcohol.
It will run throughout the holiday season, which commenced Saturday, Nov. 18. It'll continue until Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018.
Although Peel Regional Police conduct R.I.D.E. checks throughout the year, the annual festive campaign is marked by an increase in enforcement levels through the deployment of additional officers. These additional officers come from all five Divisions and Road Safety Services.
With respect to alcohol and drug related driving offences, there is a zero-tolerance policy.
"Impaired driving remains the leading cause of criminal death in Canada. This holiday season please plan ahead and be responsible," said Acting Inspector Gary Carty, officer-in-charge of Road Safety Services.
"Peel Regional Police would like to remind everyone that road safety is a shared responsibility. Please think before you drink and drive. It is not worth risking your life or the life of another person."
So there you have it—there's even more reason to turn down that drink (or hand your keys off to a sober companion) if you have to drive.
- More than 500 new COVID-19 cases recorded in Ontario, close to 400 total cases found in Mississauga
- More than 1,500 residents without power in Mississauga
- Big banks reducing credit card rates
- House prices officially dropping in Mississauga amid COVID-19 outbreak
- PHOTOS: Trillium Health Partners building temporary pandemic response unit in Mississauga
- Alarming Amount of Impaired Driving Charges Laid this Holiday Season in Mississauga
- Major Police Blitz Coming to Mississauga Very Soon
- Multiple People Arrested During First Weekend of Impaired Driving Blitz
- Peel Police Launch Distracted Driving Campaign
- Several Drivers Arrested During First Half of Impaired Driving Blitz