Major Mississauga figure for last two decades passes away
The Port Credit BIA (Business Improvement Area) has announced the recent passing of one of its most prominent figures and staff members.
Beatrice Moreira-Laidlow, Acting General Manager of the Port Credit BIA, passed away Sunday morning (October 11) after battling cancer.
She worked for the Port Credit BIA for 20 years and was a major part of everything that went on in Port Credit over the past couple of decades, including the Mississauga Waterfront Festival and The Southside Shuffle.
“After a courageous fight with cancer, our Queen Bea left us this morning with her loving family at her side,” said the Port Credit BIA.
“The spirit, love and infectious smile that Beatrice shared made us all better. She loved Port Credit and cared deeply for the business community and the people that make our Village so special.”
View this post on Instagram
It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the passing of our dear friend and General Manager Beatrice Moreira-Laidlow. . After a courageous fight with cancer, our Queen Bea left us this morning with her loving family at her side. Beatrice not only worked for the Port Credit BIA for the past twenty years but she was active with all the festivals, putting in countless volunteer hours. The spirit, love and infectious smile that Beatrice shared made us all better. She loved Port Credit and cared deeply for the business community and the people that make our Village so special. . The Port Credit Lighthouse will be lit Purple in recognition of our Queen. Funeral details will be announced in the coming days. . –- . Jake Pedler, Nina Tsougios, Brenda McGarrell, Ric Cooper, Stephen Dasko, Ann Ivy Male, John Pappas, Scott Higginson, Natasha Mackinnon, Dianne Dela Cruz … . #portcredit #portcreditbia
On Saturday, October 3, a ribbon-cutting ceremony had been held to commemorate the naming of the Lighthouse landing to “The Queen Bea Lookout” in dedication to Beatrice. It was attended by Mayor Bonnie Crombie and the entire PCBIA staff.
The lighthouse will now be lit purple to honour Beatrice.
Funeral details will be announced in the coming days, according to the Port Credit BIA.
Photo courtesy of Port Credit BIA on Instagram
- The Iconic Port Credit Lighthouse is About to Get a New Look
- The Heart of Port Credit is Back in Mississauga
- New All Day Breakfast Restaurant Coming to Port Credit in Mississauga
- Photos: Sunday at the Southside Shuffle in Port Credit
- Multiple groups come together to create special Port Credit-only gift card in Mississauga
- UPDATE: Suspect sought in Milton restaurant robbery
- Mississauga murder victim identified, police seek witnesses
- Province accelerates date when residents of Mississauga and Brampton can get second COVID-19 vaccination
- Police arrest third suspect wanted in connection with mass restaurant shooting in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Incredible footage of the solar eclipse captured from Mississauga, Ontario