Major GO Transit Announcement Made for GTA Commuters
Great news for every GO train rider in Misssissauga, Brampton, Oakville, Burlington, Milton, and across the Greater Toronto Area.
It comes via the federal and provincial governments.
They are providing more than $187 million for new GO trains along all seven corridors to alleviate congestion for riders.
Roughly $93.5 million is from the province.
Fifty-three double-decker train cars will be bought with new funding, which means for room for commuters.
Burlington MP Karina Gould, Burlington MPP Eleanor McMahon, and Metrolinx COO Greg Percy made the announcement at the Burlington GO station on Monday (April 30).
“This investment in the GO Transit system will improve the lives of people living in Ontario by getting them to work on time and back home to their families faster after a long day,” said Gould.
The purchase will support the expansion of GO train services and enable Metrolinx to keep their promises for service levels for several years.
“This is a momentous time as we get set to quadruple weekly train trips and electrify the network,” said Metrolinx president and CEO Phil Verster. “This funding means more trains on tracks sooner, which will help us connect the people of our region to where they want to go better, faster and easier.”
This investment is part of an agreement between the federal and provincial governments to improve public transit across Ontario.
In March 2017, the federal government announced a contribution of more than $1.8 billion to the GO Transit Regional Express Rail project.
“Efficient and sustainable public transit is essential to keeping Oakville one of the most livable communities in Canada. Many people in Halton depend on our GO system for their daily commute, and this investment will help get people home faster to spend more time where it counts,” said Oakville MP John Oliver.
These 53 coaches are part of a larger order of 125 coaches.
The first delivery is expected later in 2018.
- More Bi-level Train Cars Coming to Go Transit Fleet
- GO Transit Celebrates 50 Years of Service
- Huge Changes Coming to GO Train Service in Mississauga and Surrounding Cities
- Provinicial Government Announces Massive Funding to Improve Transit and Infrastructure
- GO Transit Now Offering New Train Service to Niagara Falls
- A barbershop reopens during the lockdown as a film production studio
- VIDEO: Mississauga Youtuber Kyle Forgeard surprises his parents by letting them retire early
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- Mississauga church youth group leader arrested for sexual assault
- Tech startups can apply for funding and get in front of industry partners with this opportunity