Major Changes Ahead for MiWay in Mississauga
Major transit changes are coming (although they will be gradual, to be fair) to Mississauga.
Recently, Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx issued a Request for Qualification (RFQ) for interested companies to design, build and finance the Kipling Bus Terminal Project. This is significant for Mississauga transit users because the Kipling terminal will eventually act as a hub for TTC, GO and MiWay.
“With this new station, Metrolinx is moving forward with creating an inter-regional mobility hub that will provide residents of Mississauga and Toronto improved connections to regional transit systems, MiWay, TTC and GO Transit, which will reduce travel times and get people where they need to go faster and more efficiently,” said Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure, in a news release.
The vision outlined in the RFQ includes an elevated pedestrian bridge, a new pedestrian underground tunnel from the new bus terminal to the existing building, a new service building, renovations and expansions to the existing GO station building and, of course, a new bus terminal for Miway and GO.
While the project is still in its infancy, the RFQ is a positive sign that the project is moving forward. The terminal project is part of a larger plan to improve overall GO service, including the delivery of GO Regional Express Rail by 2024-25.
Since the GTHA (Greater Toronto Hamilton Area) is growing rapidly, comprehensive transit projects are of pretty paramount importance.
“The Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area is expected to be home to nearly 10 million people by 2041. This announcement for the Kipling GO bus terminal is another step forward in delivering more GO service," said Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, in a recent news release. "This means you will have access to faster service and shorter wait times - so that you can spend more time with your family and friends."
If it all goes according to plan, MiWay buses should be relocated by 2019.
- A Major Transit Hub with a Mississauga Connection is Moving Forward
- New Toronto Transit Hub Will Connect to Mississauga
- Construction Begins on Major Transit Hub With Mississauga Connection
- Huge changes coming to major transit terminal in Mississauga
- Construction Coming to Square One Transit Terminal
- Two Mississauga students awarded scholarships from Walmart
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 21
- Here’s where to get tested for COVID-19 in Mississauga if you don’t have any symptoms
- Employee at Longo’s grocery store in Mississauga tests positive for COVID-19
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 21