Lufile and Golden Eagles off to Sweet 16 at NCAA Tournament
Milton’s Elijah Lufile and the Golden Eagles are soaring into the Sweet 16.
Oral Roberts continued their surprising run in the NCAA Basketball Tournament pulling off their second-straight upset in defeating Florida, 81-78, Sunday night in Indianapolis.
The Golden Eagles are just the second No. 15 seed in NCAA Tournament history to advance to the round of 16, joining Florida Gold Coast (2013).
Lufile and Oral Roberts opened the tournament with a stunning upset win over No. 2 seed Ohio State and will look to continue their magical run when they try to eliminate No. 3 see Arkansas this weekend.
The Razorbacks defeated Oral Roberts, 87-76, in an earlier game back on Dec. 20.
Kevin Obanor poured in 28 points and Max Abrams knocked down 26 to lead the Golden Eagles (18-10), who trailed Florida (15-10) by 11 points with less than 10 minutes remaining.
Lufile, who attended Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School in Milton, didn’t get on the score sheet. The six-foot-eight, 275 lbs. junior forward averaged 5.6 points, 5.3 rebounds and 0.2 assists for the Golden Eagles this season.
ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY PHOTO
- Milton's Lufile and Golden Eagles look to stun Buckeyes in NCAA March Madness opener
- Brampton's Blair looking to lead Hoyas to upset in NCAA March Madness opener
- Oakville's Cyrus looking to lead Gauchos to upset in NCAA March Madness opener
- Mississauga's Jack and Seminoles set for NCAA March Madness opener
- Burlington's Wright pots pair to lead Canada to golden win over Russia
- Ontario asking feds to ensure that Mississauga and Ontario residents with mixed doses can travel abroad
- One year old girl pulled from backyard pool without vital signs in Burlington
- Metrolinx expanding GO train service in Hamilton
- Oldest theatre in Mississauga is closing permanently
- Arrest follows armed robbery of retail location in Brampton earlier this month