Loblaws and Shoppers Drug Mart reducing store hours in response to COVID-19
Loblaws has recently announced that it will be reducing its store hours and taking a few other measures to help limit the spread of COVID-19 within its stores.
Loblaws supermarkets are now open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., with the first hour of the day to be dedicated to seniors and those with disabilities.
Individual Shoppers Drug Mart locations will also have their hours revised, and residents are encouraged to check online for the new hours of their local Shoppers.
“You will have noticed that shopping volumes in your local store remain high. And while the flow of goods is stable, our incredible store teams are exhausted and concerned,” says Galen Weston, Executive Chairman at Loblaws.
“As the whole country is being asked to stay home, they are proudly coming to work. Keeping our stores open and serving you depends entirely on the health and wellbeing of the people who work there. We need to look after them.”
Additionally, Loblaws will begin limiting the number of customers allowed in their busiest stores at the same time, with the specific capacity to be determined based on the store’s size.
To reduce the risk for some Loblaws workers, the chain will be eliminating loose or bulk items in certain supermarkets and will move some service departments, such as seafood, to exclusively pre-packed products.
All food sampling, beauty testers in Shoppers Drug Mart, and cosmetic services have been removed/suspended until further notice.
To reduce touching and possible transmission, customers are encouraged to pay with debit or credit as much as possible. Loblaws is also waiving the $0.05 plastic bag fee to discourage the use of reusable bags, and are asking those who bring reusable bags to bag their own items.
“These are quite substantial changes. I realize they will lead to a very different experience shopping in our stores,” Weston says. “But, we believe they are essential. And we ask for your patience and support as we do our best to keep our stores open and operating as safely and effectively as possible, for our colleagues, and for you.”
- Health care workers to get priority access to Loblaws stores
- Shoppers Drug Mart to introduce special shopping hour for seniors
- Shoppers Drug Mart is Now Providing Same-Day Delivery Across Ontario
- Loblaw stores reintroducing certain services
- Shoppers Drug Mart About to Start Offering These Minor Surgical Procedures
- Police ticket street racers and spectators at mall parking lot in Mississauga
- Air Canada revising refund policy with cancelled flight options
- House of the Week: $3.1 mil Mississauga Road home overlooking ravine
- Popular American chicken joint goes international, opening new locations in Ontario
- Province to release detailed testing strategy, urges all residents who want a test to get tested