Little Native Hockey League to Hold Tournament in Mississauga
It looks like Mississauga is getting a very special hockey tournament.
Recently, the Little Native Hockey League (LNHL) announced that Mississauga will host the Little NHL tournament for the next five years beginning in 2017.
"It is with great anticipation and excitement that the Little Native Hockey League selects the City of Mississauga to be the host city for the next five years. This history making agreement will start with the host community of Moose Cree in 2017 and the Little NHL Executive planning its 50th anniversary celebration in 2021," said Debbie Debassige, President Little Native Hockey League.
The next tournament is scheduled for March 12-16, 2017. It will be hosted by the Moose Cree First Nation.
For those who are unaware, the Little Native Hockey League tournament is an annual event. The tournament commences with opening ceremonies and includes four days of competition, ending with the championship game.
"The Little NHL is more than a hockey tournament, it is a gathering of players, parents, families, friends and communities coming together to celebrate one of our traditional games - hockey," says Little NHL president Debbie Debassige. "We get together in arenas and watch each other's children and grandchildren play. Stories are always being told about great games that have happened in the past and many players from the first tournament still make an effort to come watch these games year after year.
"As we move forward, the Little NHL Executive is committed to working together with the City of Mississauga and host First Nations communities to continue to make this tournament a success. We are proud of our First Nations Members and Chiefs across Ontario who continue to support this annual tournament. As a Committee, we will strive to carry on the tradition and goal of the Little NHL Founding Fathers."
Many First Nation communities have hosted the tournament over its 44 year history, including Curve Lake, Garden Riber, Nipissing and more.
- Police Release List of Complaints Made to 911 Regarding Amber Alert for Murdered 11 Year Old Girl
- When You Do (and Don't) Have to Talk to Police in Mississauga
- ARMED KIDNAPPING: Police Searching for Male Kidnapped by Three Masked Men
- UPDATE: Police Release Photos of Armed Kidnapping Suspects
- Police Dealing with Person in Crisis in Mississauga
- Catan Tournament in Mississauga
- Hockey Arena in Mississauga to be Named After Hockey Great Paul Coffey
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Makes it to Finals in California Tournament
- What You Didn't Know About the NBA D-League Showcase in Mississauga
- A Mississauga Hockey Rink is About to Honour a Hockey Legend