Launch of COVID-19 contact tracing app in Ontario delayed
A new mobile app meant to help with contact tracing of COVID-19 cases won't roll out across Ontario today as planned.
A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Health says the province is still working with the federal government and the app is expected to launch soon.
The province will be the first to use the COVID Alert app, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said it should be ready for download in the rest of the country later this summer.
Premier Doug Ford says the app is meant to enhance the province's contact tracing strategy.
He's previously said it could play a key role in helping contain the spread of COVID-19 as more businesses reopen their doors.
The app will be voluntary and will notify users based on a number of criteria, including if they were within two metres of a person who tests positive for the virus and if that contact took place over an extended period of time.
The province didn't give a new date for the app's launch.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 2, 2020.
- Justin Trudeau announces launch of contact tracing app in Ontario, says CERB users will be transitioned to EI
- Trudeau announces creation of new COVID-19 contact tracing app
- Federal government pledges to help provinces ramp up testing and contact tracing
- Contact tracing needs to balance public health benefits with privacy: Trudeau
- Apple and Google collaborating to create COVID-19 contact tracing technology
- Mississauga salesman enjoying big lotto win
- Police looking for 13 year old last seen in Mississauga
- McDonald's reopens in North Mississauga after worker tests positive for COVID-19
- US Vice-President candidate Kamala Harris has a Mississauga connection
- One-bedroom apartments in Mississauga third most expensive on list of 35 Canadian cities