LATEST: Health officials report two new cases of the novel coronavirus
Ontario's top medical official says there's a new case of the novel coronavirus in Toronto, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 29.
Dr. David Williams, the chief medical officer of health, says the patient is a woman in her 40s and had returned from a trip to Colorado on March 2.
The Ministry of Health says all precautions and operating procedures were followed when the woman first went to hospital.
The woman is now in self-isolation and Toronto Public Health is tracking people that she was in contact with.
The ministry says COVID-19 is still not circulating locally, but officials are actively working to prepare for potential local spread of the illness.
Williams is set to provide an update about the coronavirus situation on Monday afternoon.
Meanwhile, Quebec's Health Department has also announced another presumptive case of the novel coronavirus, bringing the total of confirmed and presumptive cases in the province to four.
The new case was detected in the Monteregie region southeast of Montreal in a woman who returned from a cruise that included a stop in Mexico.
Health officials contacted the woman after learning that other people on the ship had tested positive for COVID-19, and learned she was experiencing symptoms.
A government spokeswoman says a test taken March 6 came back positive from Quebec's health lab.
Authorities say they're still working to track the patient's movements from the time she returned to Canada on Feb. 25.
Currently, the patient is resting at home in isolation.
As of Sunday morning there were two confirmed cases in Quebec as well as two presumptive cases, which still need to be confirmed by the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg.
There were also 10 people under investigation.
The Canadian Press
- New presumptive case of novel coronavirus in Toronto, health officials say
- Two new cases of coronavirus confirmed in Ontario
- Timeline for confirmed cases of new coronavirus in Canada
- Low number of novel coronavirus cases ‘reassuring,’ Ontario health official says
- Ontario reports four new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus
- Ontario to announce plans for Stage 3 of reopening as COVID-19 spread slows
- Police on scene for males fighting with bats in Mississauga
- UPDATE: 82 year old motorcyclist dead following crash in Mississauga
- Arrest made after vehicle travelled wrong way on Hwy 403 Mississauga
- Hugely popular dessert restaurant coming to Heartland Town Centre in Mississauga