Laid-off Hamilton dad calls lotto win a 'breath of fresh air'
A Hamilton father has a huge reason to celebrate after winning $100,000 in the lotto.
Douglas Pollard, a 40-year-old single father from Hamilton who was laid off due to the pandemic matched the last six of seven Encore numbers in the exact order in a Lotto Max draw that happened on January 22, 2021.
At the time of his win, Pollard said he was just picking up a couple of things for dinner the day he checked his ticket.
"I could barely move," he said in an OLG press release announcing his win. "I checked it three times before walking back out to the car."
Pollard said he plans to put most of his winnings aside for his daughter's education but will use some towards kick-starting his new career.
"This is a breath of fresh air given the last year we've all had," Pollard said.
The winning ticket was purchased at Big Bee Convenience on Mall Road in Hamilton.
Encore offers 22 ways to win and can be played in conjunction with most lottery games for an extra $1. There is a draw every day.
- Hamilton father ‘in disbelief’ after winning more than $1M on lotto ticket
- Hamilton postal worker wins big in recent Lotto Max draw
- ‘Nice way to end the pandemic,’ says Hamilton lotto winner
- Hamilton couple turns $1 into $100K with Encore win
- 'We all win': Hamilton grandfather shares huge lotto win with family
- Male shot in Mississauga, taken to trauma centre
- Police advising motorists to watch out for rogue cow in Milton
- This popular all-day breakfast and lunch spot is coming to Brampton
- India extends own flight ban disrupting travel plans for those in Mississauga and Brampton
- One arrested after loaded firearm found in Brampton