Laid-off Hamilton dad calls lotto win a 'breath of fresh air'
A Hamilton father has a huge reason to celebrate after winning $100,000 in the lotto.
Douglas Pollard, a 40-year-old single father from Hamilton who was laid off due to the pandemic matched the last six of seven Encore numbers in the exact order in a Lotto Max draw that happened on January 22, 2021.
At the time of his win, Pollard said he was just picking up a couple of things for dinner the day he checked his ticket.
"I could barely move," he said in an OLG press release announcing his win. "I checked it three times before walking back out to the car."
Pollard said he plans to put most of his winnings aside for his daughter's education but will use some towards kick-starting his new career.
"This is a breath of fresh air given the last year we've all had," Pollard said.
The winning ticket was purchased at Big Bee Convenience on Mall Road in Hamilton.
Encore offers 22 ways to win and can be played in conjunction with most lottery games for an extra $1. There is a draw every day.
- Select Mississauga and Brampton residents between 18 and 49 can book vaccines this week
- It could be weeks before Mississauga sees the 18+ vaccination sites in hotspots
- Couple charged following hate-related incident in parking lot in Mississauga
- Speed cushions to be installed on four Mississauga roads
- Mississauga and Brampton rolling out mobile vaccine clinics targeting essential workers