Japan Festival Canada bringing unique Raptors event to Mississauga
Canada might have a new national sport (or at least a close runner-up) and the organizers of one of Mississauga's most popular festivals are doing something special to celebrate two very important teams.
Japan Festival Canada, which hosts the largest Japanese cultural event in North America every summer at Celebration Square in Mississauga, will soon be presenting Japan Day with the Toronto Raptors and Raptors 905.
Organizers say the 2019-2020 NBA season will a special year for Toronto Raptors, as it will mark team's 25th anniversary. The event will also happen in the lead-up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.
"We are hoping to further contribute in diplomatic and cultural relations between Canada and Japan through sports," organizers said in a statement.
Raptors 905 Japan Day will be hosted on Dec. 28, 2019, and Toronto Raptors Japan Day will be hosted on Jan. 17, 2020 during the Toronto Raptors vs. Washington Wizards game with 2019 NBA draft pick (and the first-ever Japanese-born player drafted in the first round), Rui Hachimura.
"It will be an exciting and remarkable game to attend and watch," organizers say.
The Raptors 905 event will take place at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre at 2:00 pm (doors open at 1:00 pm). That day, the team will face off against the Greensboro Swarm.
The Toronto Raptors event will take place in the Scotiabank Arena at 7:00 pm (doors will open at 6:00 pm).
More to come.
- Japan Festival Canada bringing exciting Raptors event to Mississauga soon
- Jays, Leafs, Raptors, TFC, Argos team up to create special assistance fund for event staff
- Toronto Raptors Put Out Incredible Video Tribute for the Fans
- Raptors and Celtics set to revive Toronto-Boston sports rivalry
- The Toronto Raptors Will Be Playing on Christmas Day Next Season
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of fatal crash between motorcycle and MiWay bus in Mississauga
- Biggest party bust Mississauga has seen during quarantine results in heavy fines
- House of the Week: Huge $3.9 mil house near Rattray Marsh
- PHOTOS & VIDEO: Anti-mask protest at City Hall in Mississauga
- Policy officer from Mississauga celebrating big lotto win