It's Official: There is Now a Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga (and Beyond)
Valentine’s Day is officially Hazel McCallion Day in Ontario.
The private member’s bill put forward by Amrit Mangat, MPP for Mississauga-Brampton South was enacted into law in Ontario today (Dec. 8) through a unanimous vote.
Earlier this year, Mangat introduced a private member's bill to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario that "seeks to recognize Hazel McCallion's contributions, encourage young women to enter political life."
Bill 215 asked that February 14 (McCallion's birthday) be proclaimed Hazel McCallion Day in Ontario.
The bill is relatively short, sweet and to the point. It calls attention to the fact that McCallion served an impressive and historic 36 years in office (she was reelected decisively until her retirement in 2014). The bill also mentions that McCallion, "oversaw the incredible growth and urban transformation of Mississauga from a city of 280, 850 residents in 1978 to Canada's sixth largest city in 2011."
The bill also mentions that her mayoralty spanned an incredible number of years (it most certainly did) and that she received "numerous awards and honours for her lifetime of contributions to her community."
Bill 215 also emphasizes the importance of McCallion's tenure in regards to its positive impact on female involvement in politics.
"Though women had been elected mayor of other Canadian cities previous to McCallion, political life was nonetheless widely regarded during the 1960s - when she entered politics - to be a man's domain. Her participation in public life since that time makes her a brilliant example to women and, indeed, all Ontarians," the bill reads.
Well, now it’s official—February 14 is both a day of love and Hazel.
What are you going to do to celebrate, Mississauga?
- Former City Council Candidate Files Complaint Against Mississauga Councillor
- One of the Tallest Buildings in Canada is coming to Mississauga
- Should You Be Worried About Your Pets Getting Ticks?
- Students Can Now Apply for OSAP Earlier Than Ever in Mississauga and Beyond
- Find the Perfect Back-to-School Products at MUJI Square One in Mississauga
- Should Valentine's Day Become Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga (and Beyond)?
- A Ton of Events are on Tap for the First Ever Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga
- Happy 97th Birthday Hazel - Hazel McCallion's Photos Through the Years
- Hazel McCallion Set to Receive Key to the City of Mississauga
- Tributes & Sights from Hazel McCallion's Gala