Is the Walmart at South Common Mall Closing?
Avid Walmart shoppers may be delighted to hear about the new location opening this year at Erin Mills Town Centre, but wonder what this means for the Walmart at South Common Mall.
However, there's nothing to worry about, as Walmart has confirmed that they currently have no plans to close their South Common location.
This is actually rather surprising news, as the two locations are only a few kilometres away - Walmart has indicated that it will close 269 of its stores this year, many of which are close to another Walmart store.
The massive retail chain's finances have been slumping recently, so it's making the move to close stores that are generally seen as "poor performers." Most of them are within 10 km of another location.
“Closing stores is never an easy decision, but it is necessary to keep the company strong and positioned for the future,” said CEO Doug McMillon.
“The stores at Erin Mills Town Centre and South Common are currently the two Walmart locations closest to each other in the GTA.”
The new Erin Mills Walmart Supercentre will be 136,000 square feet and take the place of the old Target location, which closed last year. It'll be the mall's third large department store, after Sears and The Bay.
Are you glad to hear that the South Common location is sticking around, or would you prefer to see it go and make way for something new?
- PHOTOS: Here is Everything That’s Coming to the New Food District in Square One in Mississauga
- Dollarama Announces the Launch of Its New Online Store
- Environment Canadian Issues Special Weather Statement for Mississauga
- Brand New Restaurant Opens First Canadian Location in Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga
- These Mississauga Schools Just Received Very Good Rankings on a Controversial Report