Investor frenzy accelerates Canada stock market activity in February, says TMX
Canadian stock market activity soared in February as the investor frenzy accelerated by a social media-based movement sent shares of companies like BlackBerry soaring.
Total volume on all TMX equity markets -- The Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange, TSX Alpha Exchange and Montreal Exchange -- rose to 26.2 billion in February, up from 20.6 billion in January and 12 billion in February 2020.
The value of transactions increased 10.9 per cent to $251.8 billion compared with January as the number of transactions in February climbed 15.6 per cent compared with the first month of the year to nearly 35.9 million.
The average daily volume in February was 1.38 billion, with nearly 1.9 million transactions valued at a total of nearly $13.3 billion.
Total volumes in the first two months of 2021 doubled to 46.8 billion compared with the same period in 2020 while the number of transactions increased 46 per cent to over 66.8 million. The value of transactions totalled nearly $478.8 billion, up 34 per cent.
Canada's largest stock market, the TSX, accounted for 79 per cent of the total transactions in February and 87 per cent of the total value.
There were an average of 1.5 million transactions a day, valued at a total of $11.5 billion, up from 1.26 million in January worth nearly $10 billion.
- Canadian venture capital investments totalled $4.4 billion in 2020
- Wholesale trade drops 1.3 per cent to $66.5 billion in December as auto sales fall
- Federal deficit through June hits $120 billion, Finance Department says
- Retail sales rise 1.3 per cent to $55.2 billion in November as online shopping surges
- Transactions are Booming and Supply is Dwindling in the Mississauga Housing Market
- One-year-old girl pulled from Burlington swimming pool dies in hospital
- Hamilton considers closing East Mountain street to vehicles, asks residents to weigh in
- Two males involved in Brampton collision flee on foot, Peel police say
- Five-week-old puppy stolen during armed invasion of occupied Brampton house
- Hamilton Police investigate after man found unconscious in pool of blood on downtown street