Investigation into police-involved shooting of woman in Mississauga almost complete: SIU
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) says an investigation into the police-involved shooting of a woman in Mississauga is almost complete.
The SIU says that shortly after 10:30 p.m. on May 10, 2020, Peel Regional Police officers arrived at a residence on Ledbury Crescent in Mississauga to respond to a domestic call.
Upon arriving, officers reportedly located a man and a woman on the front porch of a residence and an "interaction" between the officers and the individuals ensued.
According to the SIU, two of the officers discharged their conducted energy weapons. Following that, one of the officers discharged her firearm and struck 34-year-old Chantelle Krupka.
She was transported to a hospital for treatment.
As of today (June 23), four investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to this case. The SIU says investigators completed a canvass of the area in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses.
Krupka and four other civilian witnesses have been interviewed, and the SIU says it has obtained video footage.
From Peel police, six witness officers have been interviewed and the notes of two other officers have been obtained and reviewed. The officer who fired the weapon provided a copy of her duty notes and was interviewed, the SIU says.
The SIU says that investigators took possession of the officer's firearm, which was submitted to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis. In addition, information was downloaded from a conducted energy weapon that was used in the incident.
The SIU says it is still awaiting some recently requested materials from Peel police.
The SIU is an arm's length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.
- Peel police officer refusing to be interviewed by SIU following shooting death of Mississauga man in crisis
- Woman wounded in police involved shooting in Mississauga
- UPDATE: SIU investigating one subject officer and nine witness officers in fatal Mississauga shooting
- Former Peel police officer charged after woman injured in Mississauga shooting
- SIU Officers Investigating Shooting and Manhunt in Mississauga
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant