Investigation into Burlington crash that killed 25-year-old man called off by SIU

By

Published April 4, 2024 at 10:05 am

No charge for officer in life-threatening pedestrian crash in Brampton

The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has called off an investigation into a fatal Burlington crash that claimed the life of a 25-year-old man earlier this year, saying that police had no impact on the outcome of the incident.

In a news release, the SIU said that in the early morning hours of Jan. 29, two Halton police officers pulled a truck over after the vehicle was clocked travelling at more than 150 km/h on the westbound QEW, near Burloak Drive.

The SIU says the pick-up truck stopped just west of the Guelph Line overpass for about two minutes and sped away before officers could approach the vehicle on foot.

About 25 seconds later, the officers came across a collision involving the same vehicle. According to the SIU, the driver of the truck lost control of the vehicle on the Brant Street off-ramp and crashed about 90 metres east of the road.

Four people were in the truck at the time of the crash, and a 25-year-old man was killed. A 45-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman were seriously injured. The report says the driver was unharmed.

In a news release, SIU Director Joseph Martino indicated that based on video footage of the incident, no further investigation is necessary.

“It was apparent on this record that neither officer did anything that could conceivably attract criminal sanction in connection with this matter,” the release says.
“As such, the file has been closed.”

The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising