Inclement Weather Could Impact Morning Commute in Mississauga
While it looks like the wintery conditions are about to subside, this weekend's terribly inclement weather could impact your Monday morning commute.
Environment Canada said a rainfall warning was in effect for Halton and Peel (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills) at 4:51 a.m.
Good news: Significant rainfall is gradually tapering off.
The weather agency said that the transition from freezing rain to rain could prove problematic.
Total rainfall amounts “in the 20 to 30 mm range are likely by the time it tapers off from west to east today," Environment Canada says.
Residents are asked to clear drainage basins of ice buildup in more urban areas, as that will assist in more effective water flow and may prevent basement flooding.
“Extra care should be taken during this morning’s commute,” Environment Canada warns.
"Standing water may be potentially hazardous on poorly drained roads and highways due to the weekend ice accumulation."
The weather agency says localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible.
Residents are reminded to keep children and pets away from creeks and river banks.
The weekend's unprecedented ice storm caused myriad power outages and traffic collisions. On Sunday, April 15, OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt took to social media to announce that over 1,400 crashes (over 700 on both Saturday and Sunday) had been reported on OPP-patrolled roads.
Local police even went so far as to ask residents to avoid all non-essential travel.
Fortunately for winter-weary residents, temperatures are expected to inch back into the double-digits by next weekend.
All Schools Closed Today in Mississauga
April 16, 2018
- WEATHER WARNING: Heavy Rainfall May Impact Morning Commute in Mississauga
- Snowy weather expected to make morning commute difficult in Mississauga
- Winter weather to impact morning commute in Mississauga
- UPDATED WEATHER STATEMENT: Significant Rainfall Continuing in Mississauga
- A Special Weather Alert is in Effect for Mississauga
- Rental prices falling as the year winds to a close in Mississauga
- Employee of Mississauga No Frills tests positive for COVID-19
- House of the Week: Huge $3.9 mil house near Rattray Marsh
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of fatal crash between motorcycle and MiWay bus in Mississauga
- City officials issued 57 charges to Mississauga residents during first week of most recent lockdown