How train stations looked 100 years ago in Mississauga

Published July 2, 2022 at 3:34 pm

old Mississauga train stations

It was 1856 and the Great Western Railway was completed though Port Credit and Clarkson, connecting Toronto and Hamilton.

The railway allowed farmers, millers and local industries who were situated along the railroad to send their produce and goods to Toronto and beyond.


Two other railways were built through historic Mississauga. The Grand Trunk Railway arrived through Malton in 1854, which allowed Malton to develop into a major wheat exporting centre, and the Credit Valley Railway in 1878-81, which was built through Cooksville, Erindale and Streetsville.

The last railway to come was the Toronto-Guelph Radial Railway, which operated from 1917-1931.

All of the train stations are gone today, with the exception of the former Streetsville Junction CP Train Station, which was relocated and converted to a house.

Here are photos of how train stations looked like over 100 years ago in Mississauga:


Cooksville Train Station, c1910


Early Cooksville Train Station, c1890


Erindale Train Station, at Erindale Station Road crossing, c1920


Meadowvale Train Station, c1910


Port Credit Train Station, c1910


Port Credit Train Station, c1930


Streetsville Junction Train Station, c1920 – Streetsville Junction CP Train Station is the only one still standing today, which was relocated and converted to a house.


Clarksons Train Station, c1915

All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Stay the know

Subscribe now to receive our daily email of today's top stories in your city!

Related News

advertising