How to stay safe in Mississauga while accessing the outdoors
Exercise and focus on mental health will always remain a priority during the pandemic even while lockdown measures are in place.
“With more than 500 parks in Mississauga, there is plenty of space for families from the same households and individuals to get outside and get some fresh air and exercise,” says Mayor Bonnie Crombie.
Missauaga’s Celebration Square (MCS) has transformed into a cute winter wonderland with a cool new lighting installation called Chimes. Every movement of the central wind chime triggers a unique light and sound reaction in this 7,000 square feet artwork.
Skating can take place at one of 26 outdoor ice rinks. The outdoor community rinks are free to the public and open daily from sunrise to 11 p.m., weather permitting.
The majority of the City’s trails receive regular winter maintenance and can be safely explored. However, trails that do not receive winter maintenance are still used in the snowy months by residents who enjoy activities including snowshoeing and deep-snow hiking. This year, the City will be adding additional woodchips to the woodlot trails to help with traction.
You can visit the City’s interactive map to search for a park by location or filter parks for specific features.
Park washrooms designed for year-round use will remain open this season with enhanced cleaning practices. Local food establishments normally available within community centres and arenas will remain closed at this time.
Year-round washrooms can be found here.
In addition to the year-round washrooms mentioned above, portable washrooms will also be placed later this month in high-demand locations and key trail areas.
“As close contact increases the highest risk of COVID-19 transmission, it is crucial that residents observe outdoor etiquette to help keep everyone safe which includes wearing a mask and keeping their distance from others while using trails and pathways,” says Crombie.
- Pandemic highlights lack of access to public washrooms during winter months
- Some Mississauga conservation areas and trails to remain closed for now
- 5 Skating Rinks and Trails to Visit Outside of Mississauga
- 5 Best outdoor skating trails outside Mississauga
- Mississauga residents to receive phone call from Mayor Crombie urging them to stay in
- Top 5 Chicken on the Rocks in Mississauga
- Region providing money to residents who want to build basement apartments in Mississauga
- Some university students in Mississauga are dating older partners to pay off debt
- Very long-awaited Dollarama finally opens in Streetsville Mississauga
- These were the most popular baby names in 2020