How schools looked over 100 years ago in Mississauga
Published September 24, 2022 at 7:34 am
For early students in historic Mississauga, the 3-R’s were taught in numerous one-room schoolhouses scattered across the township.
The schoolhouses, or school sections, were often simple, vernacular structures. Our earliest known schoolhouse, referred to as the Octagonal School, was open in 1816, shortly after the province’s Common School Act was passed.
As the population grew, new schoolhouses were built. At one point, historic Mississauga was home to 25 different School Sections. Of these old schoolhouses, only a handful survive today, including the well-known Old Britannia Schoolhouse.
School Section Number 2, Cooksville, c1910
School Section Number 4, Erindale, c1910
School Section Number 5, Clarkson, c1900
School Section Number 7, Lakeview, c1915
School Section Number 9, Elmbank, c1920
School Section Number 10, Palestine, c1940
School Section Number 12, Old Britannia Schoolhouse
School Section Number 15, Meadowvale, c1910
School Section Number 18, Maiden Lane School, Streetsville, c1900
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising advertising