How Many Drivers in Mississauga Were Nabbed Drinking Over the Holidays?
The numbers are in.
And the results are “simply unacceptable.”
Nearly 400 drinking drivers were stopped in Mississauga and Brampton during a six-week campaign targeting impaired-related offences.
The 2017 Festive Season RIDE campaign focused on removing drivers - impaired by drugs or alcohol - from roads.
Overall, 24,129 vehicles were investigated across Mississauga and Brampton.
As a result of the campaign, 191 people were arrested and charged with alcohol and/or drug-related driving offences.
A total of 197 drivers were issued ‘warn range’ driver’s licence suspensions.
While the numbers are down from a year ago, it’s “simply unacceptable that police continue to identify significant numbers of individuals who continue to risk the lives of innocent road users and themselves by driving while impaired,” said Peel Regional Police Insp. Paul Pogue from the road safety unit.
Here’s how it breaks down by city, gender, and age.
Roughly 108 charges were laid in Mississauga and 83 charges were laid in Brampton — of them, 152 drivers were males and 39 were women.
And 66 per cent of those charged were between the ages of 21 and 40.
The campaign ran from Nov. 18 until Jan. 2.
The 2016 Festive RIDE saw 33,011 vehicles stopped — 215 drivers were charged, while 208 blew a ‘warn.’
Police are reminding residents that road safety is a shared responsibility.
Photo courtesy of Peel Regional Police
- Mississauga’s LRT Could be in Danger of Cancellation
- Sick Days for Teachers Causing Significant Issues in Mississauga Schools
- Major Facility Closing and Cutting Jobs in Mississauga
- 15 Things You Never Knew About the Glenerin Inn in Mississauga
- This Could be Mississauga’s First Hefty Snowfall of the Season
- Here's How Many Impaired Drivers OPP Took Off the Road
- Hundreds of Impaired Driving Charges Laid in OPP Festive RIDE
- 113 Charges Laid During R.I.D.E. Campaign in Mississauga
- Alarming Amount of Impaired Driving Charges Laid this Holiday Season in Mississauga
- Several Drivers Arrested During First Half of Impaired Driving Blitz