How ‘General Stores’ looked like over 100 years ago in Mississauga

Published April 1, 2023 at 6:25 pm

_main

Almost every historic community had at least one “general store” selling a variety of goods and supplies (often also serving as the local post office), and Mississauga’s communities were no exception.

Sociability was also an important aspect to the life of the general store, as it served not only a commercial function, but also as a place to gather and chat with neighbours.

Many of the old general stores served a community for multiple generations and became well-known and widely recognized local landmarks.

Here’s a look back at some of Mississauga’s historic general stores:


Clarkson General Store, Clarkson Road looking South, c1900

 


Dunn’s Store and Post Office, Summerville, c1920

 


Gardner’s General Store, Meadowvale, c1910

 


General Store and Post Office, Burnhamthorpe, 1912

 


Goodison’s Mammoth Store, General Merchant, Streetsville, c1900

 


Graydon General Store, Streetsville, c1910

 


Page’s General Store, Lakeview, c1930

 


Sherdian General Store and Post Office, Town Line looking north, Sheridan, c1900

 


Thomas Blain Allen’s General Store, Malton, c1900

 


Webber Grocery Store, Port Credit, 1945

All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.

INsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising