Housing prices projected to continue to decline
The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) projects the demand for housing will continue to decline through 2020.
According to a report, the Housing Market Outlook - Special Edition, released by the CMHC, housing starts, sales, and prices for Canada’s major housing markets are likely to remain below their pre-COVID-19 levels for the foreseeable future.
This is largely due to income declines, uncertainty over the future trajectory of the virus and employment, and income conditions. As a result, the precise timing and speed of the recovery in major markets is highly uncertain and will vary considerably.
“COVD-19 has had unprecedented impacts on Canada’s urban centres. Short-term uncertainty will lead to severe declines in sales activity and in new construction,” Aled ab Iorwerth, deputy chief economist for the CMHC, said in a news release.
“As the virus is overcome, cities will bounce back but there is significant uncertainty with respect to the path and timing of the recovery," he continued.
According to the findings, housing prices are projected to drop due to a drop in demand for the market.
Additionally, sales and construction have declined and will continue to decline across Canada's major markets, while resale activity and average house prices will fall across all markets. However, the rate and magnitude of declines of both will vary.
Further, the rental market is projected to see an increase in rental vacancies due to a decline in immigration as well as a surplus of buildings under construction.
- Housing market expected to experience declines throughout rest of 2020 in Mississauga
- Good news for the housing market in Mississauga
- Housing market ‘moderately’ vulnerable amid potential overvaluation of homes: CMHC
- Prices Continue to Rise in Mississauga's Housing Market
- June sees increase in housing starts in Canada
- The Keg is opening a brand new restaurant in Mississauga
- Long-standing laser tag facility shuts down in Mississauga
- Two Mississauga men enjoying big lotto wins
- GoFundMe page created for man who died trying to save cousins
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 22