Historic Train Stations in Mississauga
In 1856 the Great Western Railway was completed though Port Credit and Clarkson, connecting Toronto and Hamilton.
As a faster and more efficient form of transportation, railways were responsible for the economic development of export industries in the 1850s and 1860s. The railway allowed farmers, millers and local industries who were situated along the railroad to send their produce and goods to Toronto and beyond.
Two other railways were built through historic Mississauga: the Grand Trunk Railway arrived through Malton in 1854, which allowed Malton to develop into a major wheat exporting centre, and the Credit Valley Railway in 1878-81, which was built through Cooksville, Erindale and Streetsville. The last railway, of sorts, to come was the Toronto-Guelph Radial Railway, which operated from 1917-1931.
All of the train stations are gone today, with the exception of the former Streetsville Junction CP Train Station, which was relocated and converted to a house.
Cooksville Train Station, c1910
Early Cooksville Train Station, c1890
Erindale Train Station, at Erindale Station Road crossing, c1920
Meadowvale Train Station, c1910
Port Credit Train Station, c1910
Port Credit Train Station, c1930
Streetsville Junction Train Station, c1920 - Streetsville Junction CP Train Station is the only one still standing today, which was relocated and converted to a house.
Clarksons Train Station, c1915
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.
- UPDATE: Mississauga Residents Among Victims in 'Horrendous' Explosion
- 2 Males Wanted After Explosive Device Injures 15 in Mississauga
- Everything We Know So Far About the Restaurant Explosion in Mississauga
- Police Seek Suspects of Armed Bank Robbery in Mississauga
- PHOTOS & UPDATES: Plaza Shut Down Following Explosion in Mississauga