Historic Industries in Mississauga
By the 20th century, historic Mississauga began to transition from agricultural farming to a new era of industrialization. As road and transportation links were improved, people became more mobile and flocked from the countryside to urban areas in search of work and affordable housing.
The St. Lawrence Starch Company had initially provided just 25 jobs but had a lasting impact on the city as it supported the workforce throughout the Great Depression and produced corn based products that were used throughout Canada. The business closed its doors in the early 1990s after 100 years of production in Port Credit.
Another industrial giant in historic Mississauga was the Cooksville Brick & Tile Company, a major presence in the city until its closing in 1970. Large brickyards were also located in Port Credit and Streetsville.
Over time Port Credit was also home a large petroleum refinery, and nearby Clarkson was home to major industrial developments in the 1950s that saw the arrival of a refinery and the St. Lawrence Cement company.
During the Second World War the Dominion Small Arms Limited factory in Lakeview became a major employer and supplier of small armaments in support of the war effort, and there were countless other industrial developments that combined to change the face of the city we call home today.
British-American Oil Refinery, Clarkson, c1950
Canada Brick Limited, Streetsville, c1955
Cooksville Brickyard, c1920
Cooksville Brickyard, c1925
Ontario National Brickworks, Cooksville, c1915
Port Credit Brickyard, 1908
St Lawrence Cement Company, Clarkson, 1964
St Lawrence Starch Company, Port Credit, 1935
St Lawrence Starch Company, Port Credit, 1952
Texaco Refinery, Port Credit, c1960
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.