Historic Churches in Mississauga

in
 

In historic Mississauga, as in other places, churches and places of religious assembly, were fixtures on the social and geographical landscape, and were landmarks in their respective communities. The buildings themselves played significant roles in the lives of our residents, both as houses of worship, places of weddings, funerals and baptism, and of communal and social gatherings. While many historic churches continue to thrive in our modern City, and many of our older congregations continue to thrive in new homes, Heritage Mississauga pays tribute to several historic religious edifices that once graced our community.


Bethany Wesleyan Methodist Church, Elmbank, c1930, demolished 1956

 


Bethesda Methodist Church, Dixie, c1920, demolished 1998

 


Carman Methodist Church, Clarkson, c1910

 


Cooksville Methodist-United Church, c1940, demolished 1963

 


Cooksville Methodist-United Church, c1940, demolished 1963

 


First St John the Baptist Anglican Church, Dixie, prior to 1924 fire

 


First St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, Streetsville, burned 2000

 


Original St. Mary Star of the Sea RC Church - Port Credit, c1900, demolished 1950s

 


Sheridan Methodist Church, c1910, demolished 1970s

 

 All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.

 

Your Comments