Here’s Where Mississauga Ranks on the List of Worst Bed Bug Cities in Canada
Are you afraid of bugs?
Of course you are—especially the kind that are known to nestle in your bed sheets and make a meal out of your tasty, tasty skin.
Orkin Canada, Canada's largest pest control provider, recently shared on disturbing news about Mississauga and the amount of bed bugs who call the city (and its residents' comfy beds) home.
On its list of Canada's top 25 cities for bed bugs, Mississauga sits at 17
The findings by Orkin Canada are based on the number of commercial and residential bed bug treatments carried out by the country’s largest pest control provider.
The top ten cities:
- St. John’s
While that ranking isn't great, it's comforting to know that the city boasts less bed bugs than Toronto (1), St. John's (3), Winnipeg (2), Hamilton (7), Windsor (9) and Ottawa (6).
Orkin says that in less than two decades, the dreaded pest has gone from a rarely experienced irritant to a major problem.
And if your house is clean, you're still at risk.
Orkin says no one is immune because bed bugs can thrive in either clean or dirty homes and some entomologists are warning this epidemic is set to get worse—especially in the wake of the busy holiday season.
"…At this time of year, after all the parties and social events, it is likely some bed bugs have found themselves new homes."
So, how do you know if you have bed bugs? Orkin says to look out for:
Tiny dark coloured stains, cast skins or live bed bugs.
Where to look:
Mattress tags and seams, under seat cushions, behind headboards, creases of drawers, buckling wallpaper or carpet.
- Dry potentially infested bed linens or clothing on the highest heat setting possible.
- Inspect all second-hand furniture before bringing it into your home.
- Before returning home after travel, examine your bags, inspect your clothing and other items for bed bugs.
If you suspect bed bugs, contact a pest management professional immediately.
The rankings were based on all bed bug treatments by Orkin Canada at residential and commercial properties within Canada from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018.
- Bed Bugs in Summer: What You Should and Shouldn't Do
- Mississauga Has Disturbing Ranking on National Bed Bug List
- Here's where Mississauga ranks on the list of worst cities for bedbugs
- Mississauga Earns Troubling Ranking On List Of “Rattiest” Cities
- Mississauga Has Disturbing Ranking on National Rodent List
- Police investigating after body found in storage facility in Mississauga
- Face-coverings now required in common areas of condos and apartment buildings in Mississauga
- Police hoping to identify man who reversed into a woman in Mississauga
- The Lost Village of Summerville
- Take a Left for Some of the Best Restaurants and Cafés in Mississauga