Help Brampton go green with park cleanup days
Published July 20, 2022 at 4:33 pm
You can do your part to help Brampton parks clean and green this summer with the city’s Parks Cleanup Program.
The city is encouraging residents to recruit family or friends to sign up for park and school playground cleanups to help make a difference in their communities.
The program provides registered cleanup crews with supplies so they can remove litter in Brampton parks, helping keep public spaces clean for the community to enjoy and helping the city meet its environmentally sustainable Brampton Grow Green goals.
To sign up, select a local park that needs a cleaning and register for your cleanup date online between April 1 and November 1.
The city says to allow five business days from your registration date for the delivery of cleanup supplies.
Once your crew is done with their cleanup, you can leave your collected garbage bags by the park sign or park garbage can.
Crews are also encouraged to take photos and send them to us at [email protected].
Here are some safety tips before heading out on a cleanup:
- Wear appropriate and protective clothing according to the weather (e.g. boots, gloves, hat, sunscreen)
- Be familiar with your clean up area
- Do not pick up any material that may be hazardous, such as needles/syringes, broken glass, chemicals, dead animals and heavy/oversized objects. Instead, mark the location and call 3-1-1
- Only pick up litter during daylight hours
Use a litter picker if you have one
- Watch for and avoid hazards, such as wild animals, insects, noxious weeds and glass
- Do not walk on roadways or steep hills and embankments
- Be mindful of vehicles when near or adjacent to a road
- Do not enter water bodies to retrieve items
- Do not approach homeless encampments, call 311 to report the location
- Do not trespass on private property
- Do not compress garbage or reach into garbage containers with hands or feet
- Always put masks, gloves and other home health care waste in a bag before throwing them in the garbage
- If you collect recyclables during your cleanup, please recycle them. To learn more about how to sort your waste, visit the Region of Peel’s website at www.peelregion.ca/waste/
- Wash your hands after your cleanup