Healthy and Affordable Food is a Growing Concern for Canadians
Do you watch what you eat and how much you spend on food?
If so, you're not alone.
According to a recent press release, recent research revealed by the Canadian Centre for Food Integrity (CCFI) showed that Canadians are worried about the rising cost of food and the affordability of healthy food.
When asked to rate their level of concern on a number of issues ranging from health care, economy and unemployment to climate change and rising energy costs, 67 per cent of Canadians suggested they’re most concerned about the rising cost of food.
Keeping healthy food affordable was rated second at 63 per cent, along with rising energy costs and rising health care costs.
A shocking 55 per cent of Canadians were most concerned with the safety of food imported from outside the country.
“The results tell us today’s consumers are not only looking for affordable food options, they are also unsure about many aspects about food and the food system and are looking to know more from credible sources,” Crystal Mackay, CCFI president, said in a recent press release.
The survey results also showed a significant drop in the number of Canadian consumers who feel the country's food system is headed in the right direction.
“This research demonstrates that the food system can’t take trust for granted, it must be earned,” Mackay said in a recent press release.
“Canadians desire balanced, credible information about food so they can feel confident in their decisions for themselves and their families. It’s up to the entire food chain to turn up the volume and efforts to openly share information about food and how it’s produced, processed and packaged with consumers.”
The 2018 web-based survey was completed in July by 1,509 respondents who reflect the general Canadian consumer population aged 18 or older.
To view the survey results, visit www.foodintegrity.ca.
- Brawl Breaks Out Involving Knives at an Intersection in Mississauga
- Jagmeet Singh Comments On Justin Trudeau's Picture Wearing Brownface
- Police Responding to a Robbery Involving a Gun in Mississauga
- This Massive Entertainment Facility is a Hidden Gem
- Top 5 Under The Radar Pizza Joints in Mississauga
- Survey Shows Many Canadians Do Not Know Where Their Food Comes From
- Here Is Why Millions Of Canadians Are Worried About Canada's Food Industry
- Some Food Prices are Set to Rise Across Canada in 2019
- Your Fast Food is About to Change in Canada
- Canadians Demand Policies to Curb Animal Abuse in Food Supply Chains