Health official says COVID-19 cases still on the rise in Peel
At a September 9 conference, Dr. Monica Hau, Associate Medical Officer of Health, Region of Peel, who filled in for Dr. Lawrence Loh, made an announcement about the uptick in COVID-19 cases in the region.
According to Dr. Hau, this past week the Region of Peel saw an increase of cases at levels that they have not seen since June when the region was going towards the end of stage one.
“Over the past week, we have seen around 350 cases with about 75% of those cases in Brampton and 23% in Mississauga,” said Dr. Hau.
“The age ranges of these cases are mainly under the age of 50, with around 73% around under the age of 50 and 40% specifically in the 20 to 40-year-old age range.”
Dr. Hau also noted that those who are less than 19 make up 17% of the cases seen in the last week.
Since the beginning of Stage 3 of the economy’s reopening, Dr. Hau stated that they have seen various community-based cases acquired from large social gatherings.
Additionally, they have also seen an increasing number of cases in the same households, those that are due to travel as well as a number of workplace outbreaks, according to Dr. Hau.
Dr. Hau concluded by reminding everyone to practice the four core behaviours to help overcome COVID-19 which are to stay apart, lather up, mask up and get tested.
- Close to 1,000 cases of COVID-19 recorded in Ontario, with 41 new cases found in Peel
- Ontario reporting 149 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, 15 new cases in Peel
- Dr. Lawrence Loh says there is a 'slight uptick' in COVID-19 cases in Peel
- Ontario reports over 80 new COVID-19 cases, with 3 new cases reported in Peel
- Ontario reports over 500 COVID-19 cases in the province, with 6 new cases confirmed in Peel
- New rules regarding children in leash-free zones and smoking in parks are now in effect in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: New platform and pavilion now open at a Mississauga GO Station
- House of the Week: $3.8 mil Sheridan home luxurious features
- Staff member tests positive for COVID-19 at Mississauga retirement home
- All COVID-19 cases in Mississauga schools for the week of September 21 to 26