Health official says COVID-19 cases still on the rise in Peel
At a September 9 conference, Dr. Monica Hau, Associate Medical Officer of Health, Region of Peel, who filled in for Dr. Lawrence Loh, made an announcement about the uptick in COVID-19 cases in the region.
According to Dr. Hau, this past week the Region of Peel saw an increase of cases at levels that they have not seen since June when the region was going towards the end of stage one.
“Over the past week, we have seen around 350 cases with about 75% of those cases in Brampton and 23% in Mississauga,” said Dr. Hau.
“The age ranges of these cases are mainly under the age of 50, with around 73% around under the age of 50 and 40% specifically in the 20 to 40-year-old age range.”
Dr. Hau also noted that those who are less than 19 make up 17% of the cases seen in the last week.
Since the beginning of Stage 3 of the economy’s reopening, Dr. Hau stated that they have seen various community-based cases acquired from large social gatherings.
Additionally, they have also seen an increasing number of cases in the same households, those that are due to travel as well as a number of workplace outbreaks, according to Dr. Hau.
Dr. Hau concluded by reminding everyone to practice the four core behaviours to help overcome COVID-19 which are to stay apart, lather up, mask up and get tested.
- Peel Region again has the highest number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario
- The number of new cases in Peel Region today the lowest this month
- Peel Region has highest number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario today
- Close to 1,000 cases of COVID-19 recorded in Ontario, with 41 new cases found in Peel
- Peel Region has over 500 new COVID-19 cases today as Ontario sets new record
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Major road closed in aftermath of fatal crash in Mississauga
- This Mississauga neighbourhood has one of the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rates in Ontario
- ‘You don’t want to fall into that three per cent category’: Ontario ICU doctor on battling COVID-19
- Environment Canada issues snowfall warning for Mississauga
- Major road closed due to serious crash in Mississauga