Health Canada recalls nearly 20 more hand sanitzers
Published June 24, 2021 at 3:03 am
Hand saniters have become a necessity for residents of Mississauga and Brampton during the COVID-19 pandemic, but Health Canada has recalled another 18 disinfectants due to health risks.
The federal agency on Wednesday listed a number of reasons for taking the products off of the market. Those include containing (or possibly containing) ingredients that are not permitted by Health Canada; defective or faulty packaging; undeclared impurities; improper labelling; a lack of sufficient product testing; being unauthorized for sale in Canada; and, being counterfeit.
Some the impurities that have been found include acetaldehyde and benzene. Both may increase the risk of cancer. This risk is assumed to increase with use.
Anyone who has any of the recalled sanitizers should stop using them. They should either properly dispose of them, in accordance with municipal guidelines for disposing of chemicals. The products can also be returned to a pharmacy for proper disposal. Consulting a healthcare professional if you used any of the products is also advisable.
The products added to the recall list have been sold under the following names, with companies listed in brackets:
- Aerochem Liquid Hand Cleaner 70% Alcohol (Walter Surface Technologies Inc.)
- Bio-Odeur (Bio-Expert Products Inc.)
- Defenz (Shiny Star Canada Ltd.)
- Gigi’s Goodbye Germs Hand Sanitizer (Simply At Home Inc.)
- JP Wiser’s Distillery (Hiram Walker & Sons Limited)
- KeraSpa (Adbo Distribution)
- Natural Concepts Sanitizing Gel (Apollo Health and Beauty Care Inc.)
- Peak Processing Solutions – Ethanol sanitizer 80% (2682130 Ontario Limited)
- Preference Pre-Quat Sanitizer (Les Produits Sanitaire Accord Inc.)
- Premium Hand Gel Sanitizer (Ambassador Oil and Gas; product license holder is Sunbee Environmental Solutions)
- Puricia (Pharmaberg Inc.)
- Safe-Guard Product Canada Hand Sanitizer (St. Joseph Communications)
- Salon Solution Waterless Hand Wash (CBON Cosmetic Brands of North America Inc.)
- SunnaPure Hand Sanitizer Spray (Cosmetics by Katakami Inc.)
- T-1000 (One-Bottle, 9353-8957 Québec Inc.)
- TerraPure Hand Sanitizer (TerraPure Sanitizer Inc.)
- Umbrell, 60 mL format (Affinite Gestion de Production)
The reasons for each recent recall are available at healthcanada.ca.
Over 100 hand sanitizer products were also pulled off of the shelves between June of last year and March 24insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies