Happy 99th birthday, Hazel - Hazel McCallion's photos through the years
Believe it or not, Mississauga’s beloved matriarch is 99-years-old today.
Not only is today Valentine’s Day, but it’s also the fourth Hazel McCallion Day in the province of Ontario. Mississauga has changed a lot over the years, but one thing that hasn’t changed is that it’s still Hazel Country. Take a look at photos of Mississauga’s Mayor Hazel McCallion through the past four decades.
A section of the final County of Peel Council, in 1973. Included are J. E. Archdekin, the Mayor of Brampton, J. I. Mullin, the Reeve of Albion, Hazel McCallion, Streetsville Mayor, and J. C. Saddington, Port Credit Mayor.
McCallion promotes the Streetsville Founders Bread and Honey Festival. Created by the Streetsville and District Chamber of Commerce in 1973, publisher/husband Sam McCallion became the organization's first President in 1974.
Hazel meets the public at the 1987 opening of the new City Hall.
Catch of the day at the 1988 Mayor's Invitational Fishing Tournament.
Cutting the Canada Day cake, 1993.
The Duke and Duchess of York, photographed after finishing their tour of the Art Gallery of Mississauga. Duke of York Boulevard, running between Square One and Mississauga's Civic Centre.
Mississauga Symphony Orchestra performs at the City Hall opening weekend in 1987.
New Wave group Images in Vogue ("In the House") meet with Hazel.
Officials from Kariya,Japan visit with Hazel, to present gift in celebration of the new municipal offices. The two cities have been "sistered" since 1981.
Hazel performs with The Nylons at the opening of the City Hall in 1987.
Hurricane Hazel was surrounded with over 1000 of her closest friends and supporters to celebrate her official retirement gala of her 36 years in office on October 11, 2014. Jean Chretien was the suprise guest that evening.
Former Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chretien surprises Mayor McCallion with his visit to the gala.
Hazel McCallion most recently joined hosts Khaled Iwamura and Scott Willats and current mayor of Mississauga Bonnie Crombie at the 2016 NYE Celebrations at Celebration Square.
Some of the photo’s are courtesy of PAMA. (Peel Art Gallery Museum and Archives)
- 1987 Opening of Mississauga City Hall with Hazel
- Tributes & Sights from Hazel McCallion's Gala
- Hazel McCallion Set to Receive Key to the City of Mississauga
- Doug Ford Gives Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion a New Job
- A Ton of Events are on Tap for the First Ever Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga
- Two employees at Mississauga grocery store test positive for COVID-19
- Mississauga travel agency owner wins $1 million lotto prize
- Mississauga’s Most Notorious Murder Case - Peter Demeter
- The perfect selfie spot is taking shape in Mississauga
- House of the Week: Magnificent $8.8 Mil Mansion with Luxurious Indoor Pool