Happy 98th Birthday Hazel - Hazel McCallion's Photos Through the Years
Hazel McCallion turns 98 today!
Not only is today Valentine’s Day, it’s the third Hazel McCallion Day in the province of Ontario. Mississauga has changed a lot over the years, but one thing that hasn’t changed is that it’s still Hazel Country. Take a look at photos of Mississauga’s Mayor Hazel McCallion through the past four decades.
A section of the final County of Peel Council, in 1973. Included are J. E. Archdekin, the Mayor of Brampton, J. I. Mullin, the Reeve of Albion, Hazel McCallion, Streetsville Mayor, and J. C. Saddington, Port Credit Mayor.
McCallion promotes the Streetsville Founders Bread and Honey Festival. Created by the Streetsville and District Chamber of Commerce in 1973, publisher/husband Sam McCallion became the organization's first President in 1974.
Hazel meets the public at the 1987 opening of the new City Hall.
Catch of the day at the 1988 Mayor's Invitational Fishing Tournament.
Cutting the Canada Day cake, 1993.
The Duke and Duchess of York, photographed after finishing their tour of the Art Gallery of Mississauga. Duke of York Boulevard, running between Square One and Mississauga's Civic Centre.
Mississauga Symphony Orchestra performs at the City Hall opening weekend in 1987.
New Wave group Images in Vogue ("In the House") meet with Hazel.
Officials from Kariya,Japan visit with Hazel, to present gift in celebration of the new municipal offices. The two cities have been "sistered" since 1981.
Hazel performs with The Nylons at the opening of the City Hall in 1987.
Hurricane Hazel was surrounded with over 1000 of her closest friends and supporters to celebrate her official retirement gala of her 36 years in office on October 11, 2014. Jean Chretien was the suprise guest that evening.
Former Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chretien surprises Mayor McCallion with his visit to the gala.
Some of the photo’s are courtesy of PAMA. (Peel Art Gallery Museum and Archives)
- Mississauga Uber Driver Arrested After Two Sexual Assault Incidents
- This is Where Mississauga Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Cities
- 5 “Haunted” Conspiracy Theories That Exist In Mississauga
- UPDATE on CLOSURE: Popular Japanese/Korean Restaurant in Mississauga Closed for Health Violations
- Top 5 Chinese Takeout Joints in Mississauga
- 1987 Opening of Mississauga City Hall with Hazel
- Tributes & Sights from Hazel McCallion's Gala
- Doug Ford Gives Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion a New Job
- Hazel McCallion Set to Receive Key to the City of Mississauga
- A Ton of Events are on Tap for the First Ever Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga