Hazel McCallion Set to Receive Key to the City of Mississauga
It's no secret that Mississauga's identity was formed, in large part, by its iconic former mayor.
Leading the city for decades, McCallion became a local and national legend who won election after election until her retirement in 2014. For that reason, it's no surprise that she's joining the likes of Drake in receiving her very own key to a city (Drake received a key to Toronto from Mayor John Tory in February 2016).
Naturally, McCallion is being given the key to Mississauga (although we're sure Toronto would happily honor her if it could).
Also, as part of Canada's 150th anniversary, Museums of Mississauga will present an exhibition honouring the former mayor that captures some standout moments of her lengthy political career.
"I invite you to join me this Wednesday, April 12th, for the opening reception for the Do Your Homework Exhibit, where I will be presenting Hazel McCallion with the Key to the City," current Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie said in a statement.
The event will take place today at the Mississauga Civic Centre (300 City Centre Drive) and will kick off at 5:00 p.m.
The agenda is as follows:
5 p.m. - 7 p.m. Exhibition Viewing (The Great Hall - main level of City Hall)
7 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. In Conversation with Hazel (Council Chambers)
8.05 p.m. - Key to the City Presentation (Council Chambers)
8:15 p.m. - Event concludes
According to the city, the exhibition explores the life and legacy of McCallion and showcases her contributions as "a compassionate leader, sports enthusiast, Canadian icon and legacy maker."
Artifacts and archival material from the Museums of Mississauga collection, as well as personal items from McCallion herself, will be on display.
The exhibition is open daily and runs from April 12 to April 26.
Following the opening reception, Hazel McCallion will take part in “In Conversation with Hazel,” during which she'll discuss leadership (and learning) experience accrued from building the sixth largest city in Canada.
- Hazel McCallion Do Your Homework Exhibit Now Open in Mississauga City Hall
- City plans to rename Mississauga library in honour of Hazel McCallion’s 100th birthday
- Unique Hazel-Themed Art Coming to Mississauga This Spring
- A Ton of Events are on Tap for the First Ever Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga
- Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion Endorses Doug Ford
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Emergency crews responding to crash involving motorcyclist in Mississauga
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about Mississauga - February 21, 2021
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcomes 45 flights with COVID-19
- Workers in Peel Region have lost jobs due to COVID-19 scrutiny in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon