Hamilton's Grey Cup weekend gets moved as CFL revises 2021 schedule
The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced Wednesday (Apr. 21) that the 2021 Grey Cup in Hamilton will be moved from Nov. 21 to Sunday, Dec. 12, 2021.
The decision to move the championship game comes as the CFL revised its schedule by delaying the start of the league year.
"Today's announcement by our Commissioner is the welcome news that we will be playing football this season!” issued Ticats owner Bob Young in an official statement. “The Tiger-Cats organization has been steadfast in our commitment to playing football in 2021. Our business is all about entertaining our fans and delivering value to our partners by playing football.”
"Moving the 108th Grey Cup game to December 12 allows us to play as many regular season games as possible this year in light of the unavoidable delays to the start of the season. The priority for us is to get our players back on the field to play as much football as possible,” Young continued.
"We remain enthusiastic about putting on the best Grey Cup in CFL history and look forward to hosting Canada's largest sporting event for Hamilton, and for all Canadian Football fans from across the country, right here at Tim Hortons Field in 2021."
The season was originally scheduled to kick-off on June 10, with the Tiger-Cats playing the Blue Bombers in Winnipeg.
The CFL opener will now be played on Thursday, Aug. 5.
- Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner reacts to 'interesting' news regarding possible CFL, XFL partnership
- CFL pushing back start of season nearly two months because of COVID-19
- Veteran WR Posey re-signs with Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- The forgotten Grey Cup history of Hamilton’s oldest sports park
- Brampton's Josh Palmer excels at U.S. college football showcase
- Five-year-old child crossing road on bike in Mississauga dies after being struck by vehicle
- MAYORS CHAT: Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie chats about COVID-19 updates, vaccines and tickets - May 4, 2021
- Mississauga woman accused of abduction
- WANTED: Cops hunt four Brampton men on the run
- Father of three from Mississauga celebrating big lotto win "couldn’t believe it"