Hamilton remains under heat warning. Here’s where you can go to cool off
Published June 29, 2021 at 7:52 am
Hamilton remains under a heat warning on Tuesday (June 29) as excessively hot and humid conditions persist.
Environment Canada said in the warning that afternoon temperatures near 31 degrees and humidex values near 40 are expected, and overnight lows around 20 degrees Celsius.
Temperatures are expected to cool off slightly starting Wednesday.
The Medical Officer of Health for the City of Hamilton initiated a Heat Warning beginning on Monday and it remains in effect until they are cancelled or escalated to an Extended Heat Warning.
The City and participating community agencies are responding to the heat by offering “cool places” to go during all stages of a heat event.
These locations can be identified by a “Cool Down Here” sign at the entrance:
- Central Memorial Community Centre, 93 West Avenue S, Hamilton
- Dominic Agostino Riverdale Community Centre, 150 Violet Drive, Hamilton (*July 5 to Sept 6)
- Norman Pinky Lewis Recreation Centre, 192 Wentworth Street N, Hamilton
- Ryerson Recreation Centre, 251 Duke Street, Hamilton
- Sackville Hill Seniors Centre, 780 Upper Wentworth Street, Hamilton
- Sir Allan MacNab, 145 Magnolia Drive, Hamilton
- Stoney Creek Recreation Centre, 45 King Street E, Stoney Creek (*May 24 to July 4)
- Hamilton Central Library, 55 York Blvd, Hamilton
Hours of operation: Tuesday to Friday, 1 pm to 6 pm; Saturday to Monday 1 pm to 5 pm
- All HPL Branches: Tuesday to Friday, 1 pm to 6 pm; Saturday 1 pm to 5 pm. See all locations & hours
Drinking water will be available at all of these locations and COVID-19 precautions are in effect at all locations.
Most of Hamilton’s outdoor pools opened to the public on Monday for drop-in programming. Due to pandemic protocols, however, reservations are required in advance.
Spray pads are open across the city but most wading pools, with the exception of the one at Dundas Driving Park, do not open until July 5.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies